Friday, July 18, 2003

Here's another stunning development regarding the Bush White House: they've just made it more difficult to contact the White House via e-mail! You can no longer simply dash off a note to president@whitehouse.gov (although the White House page provides this address, it is not now looking at what you send there). Now you must use webmail: https://sawho14.eop.gov/PERSdata/intro.htm How's that for a nice, intuitive address that the average citizen with email will easily remember?! What the Bushies call "enhancement" is a series of web pages that control what you write about and collect lots of information about the writer.

Regarding control, for example, you must declare before starting your email if the message is supportive of Bush or critical of him or the administration! (You are given a convenient drop menu to do so, for which I am eternally grateful.) You must choose your topic from some menus. (I wanted to contact him regarding his propensity to lie to the American public, but "Lying" was not a topic for me to choose, nor was "Cynical Manipulation of Language." I chose "Prayer in Schools" in an effort to get as close as possible to the relevant issues. (I also declared the message to be "supportive" of the President because my goal really was to encourage him to tell the truth. I think that's supportive in intent.)

Beyond that sort of control, you must provide specific information about who you are or the message cannot be sent--you have no choice over what information you provide. It's a bit intimidating, but I felt that if I was George's Sunday School teacher (and he claims to be supportive of Sunday School doesn't he?) I assume I wouldn't be put on a "No Fly" list for helping Georgie to be a better boy, so I sent all for which they asked.

I'll let you know what response I get ...

I've copied the letter below if you'd like to read it:

Dear President Bush,
A truly democratic society relies on a modicum of truthfulness in officeholders. The
constant stream of disinformation emanating from the White House and the offices
under its control amounts to an attack on our democratic system.

As president of this nation, it is especially incumbent up you and those you manage
to be truthful, and honest with the citizens of this country. Your failure in this arena,
as is your utter failure in domestic and foreign issues should be a shame to you, but I
see no evidence of any such response on your part or anyone in your administration.
There is still time to change your approach and your policies such that history may
place you in a respectable place among the presidents of this nation.

I encourage you to reassess your communication policies and institute a strict policy
of truth telling, starting, Mr. President, with you and your office. Perhaps our nation
may again be considered a real democracy, should your hard work in this area be
persistent and consistent. Our future is much dependent your commitment to the
notion of telling the truth. Good luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home